Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why Choose TV Shows Over People




Well, it is safe to say that my obsession over TV shows has reached its peak, since I think it is better to replace with people, and rightfully so. However, this is not some spur in the moment thought, it is something that has actually been playing on my mind for a while now. Here are a few reasons why I think this could be a good idea:

1.       You will know exactly when to expect from a TV show. Yes, they come once a year, and you know the duration for what it will last. There are no stupid tantrums like, “Where were you when I needed you?” and “You promised me so-and-so, but you failed to do so!” Nope, you know exactly what you are getting into, and what you will get out of it.

2.       There is so much to learn from them. All shows, no matter what the genre, have so much to teach you, if only you pay heed, unlike people who have the same old morals and lectures to give out. Booooorrrrriiinnnggggg!


3.       TV shows give you a kind of psychological release. Say for example, when you watch Dexter, and he says ‘I really need a kill tonight,’ in some corner of your mind you think ‘Yeah baby, go get it, I wish I could too, but I guess will have to live it through you.’ There is a place for your deepest and most brazen thoughts to fester, thoughts that if you say out loud, people may flee from your vicinity like you have sprouted an extra head on your shoulder!

4.       The feel of belonging to a community. Yes, I know, this sort of contradicts my own train of thoughts about TV shows being better than people and communities made of people, but when you obsess over a TV show, you join the hoards of other fans and become a part of a fandom that binds you together, and you feel less weird and awkward amongst ‘adorable ordinary people’ (Sherlock style).

I could go on and on, but these are the foremost reasons that I would pick TV shows over people any day of the week. Sure, you can argue all you like about companionship and blah and blah, but there is nothing better than personal experience, and my experience says that when you need people the most, they walk out, find a hundred other things to do and then some. TV shows have always been there, when everyone left, they walked in, and man, they have been worth every single extended download limit and more. My vote goes for them, anytime, any day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment